Friday, April 10, 2015

One of a Million

When I initially began blogging, almost two years ago, I thought that my age would set me apart.  Sure, what I was doing wasn't very original, but hey I was half the age of most other bloggers out there.  Now I've almost lost that edge, not that it was much of an edge to begin with, and I've started wondering what sets me apart as a blogger.  Of my favorite bloggers, each has their own little quirk that makes them different from the hundreds of thousands of fashion bloggers out there churning days on days of outfit posts.  Leandra Medine of The Man Repeller posts about social/modern/pop culture issues along with pieces on fashion, Karla from Karla's Closet posts bi-weekly moodboards, and Ivania Carpio from Love Aesthetics religiously adheres to her dress code of white, black, and grey.  Its easy to post #ootds or tips on how to wear your favorite pair of jeans.  Its a lot more difficult to find your unique voice, to find ways to make your blogging style so particular to you that readers would recognize it without a title or an author listed.  And personally, I think developing that voice is infinitely more important than gaining thousands of followers.  An intelligent and individual voice attracts intelligent and individual followers, or so I'd like to think.  So that's my goal.  Developing my voice.  That is my goal.  Not for the next month, or the next year, or maybe not even by the end of college.  But gradually, over the next however many years, until I can look back and be proud of who I am as a writer, as fashiony/stylishy person (I hate the word fashionista), and maybe just as a person in general.  I want to read through my blog and  think about several social issues, admire some outfit choices, and laugh a little at some self-deprecating humor.  So often I find myself slipping unnoticed into generic and blahblah-plain blogger speak.  After spending hours every day reading blog post on blog post, the blanket fashion statements creep into my writing and soon enough I look back and find that the paragraph I've just written could have easily been found on a thousand other blogs.  So I'd like to avoid that.  In short, I'm working on finding me.

P.S.  Am I ready to rock the Tommy Hilfiger runway or what??




                                                                       






 

Thanks to Shay for the pictures, she's fab

No comments:

Post a Comment